How we work

Its as easy as this

1 Let’s get your specifications right

Let’s sit down and go through what you want in your new home so we can write it up in a clear proposal including floor coverings, fittings and colours.

2 Sign off on the proposal

Once you’re happy with our proposal,  it’s time to accept the quote, sign the building contract and pay the deposit. Anything else added after the contract has been signed is added as a variation that is also signed. Life is pretty unpredictable so if there is anything else we need to add, we can by agreement.

3 Let us prepare the plans

You’ve chosen everything that will go into your home. Now, it’s up to us to get the rest of the construction plans and specifications ready for Council to accept the building consent and for the  Able Spaces team to start building your new home.

4 Kick back, relax, we’ve got your project covered

Everything is in place for you to kick back and relax while Able Spaces gets cracking on your new home. We’ll keep you informed throughout your build with photos and progress updates.

4a Let us project manage your site works

If your site is within the Greater Wellington Region, we can project manage your foundations, building consent and services connections. Taking the hassle out of the whole project for you!

5 Move in!

Your site works have been completed, your house has been delivered, it’s now time to move in and enjoy your new home.


Can I modify your standard plans?

Yes! Feel free to ask for a copy of the layout plan that’s closest to what you want to be emailed to you. You can then scribble over it with your changes and we will work with you to make them a reality. Once we’ve got the preliminary plans finalized, we’ll quote on what you want and you can decide whether you want to use us or not. There is a $3000 Design fee for this, giving you up to 3 revisions.

What are your houses built with?

We build in 2 ways: Our Standard specifications are houses built with Metalcraft Insulated Panels or Bondor for our walls and roof. They have a Polystyrene core and a Coloursteel skin on both sites. Then we have our Deluxe specifications where our houses are built with steel framing, GIB lining and you have a variety of cladding options to choose from.  Our cladding options are: Coloursteel corrugated iron, Pine Weatherboards, Bevel Back Red Cedar Weatherboards, Charred Weatherboards or Plywood and Batten.

What other options do you offer?

We can do plywood feature walls our of V Grooved ply, Oukume ply or pine ply which can clear coated or white washed. The joins befween the ply sheets can have a Negative detail or be butt joined. Come and see our prototype building to see the different options in real life! You can make an appointment here.

You can also choose an engineered stone benchtop.

What are the Council Requirements for these buildings?

Typically, anything over 30m2 or any size that have facilities like a kitchen or a bathroom required a building consent. If you’re wanting to be completely off-grid and on wheels, then different rules may apply. It’s best to check with your local council. We supply our transportable homes with a Building Consent and Code Compliance Certificate. We are a Licensed Building Practitioner and a Registered Master Builder and take pride in our workmanship.

Our homes are built on a steel subfloor and usually end up on timber piles that are connected to the steel bearers with steel brackets.

Can the really large buildings be transported?

Yes depending on where it’s going and site access. We get our transport contractors to check it out for you. We need to make sure delivering your new transportable home is possible, whether it can be done in one or 2 modules or whether other equipment is needed like a massive crane. Once they know that, they can give you an estimate for the delivery.

We currently transport up to 4.6m wide modules while we are in our George Street workshop. From 2023, we will be able to build up to 10m wide houmes in 1 piece.

Do you have a Show unit?

We don’t. You are welcome to view our homes before they leave our workshop by appointment only. We have 2 viewings available Monday to Friday: 10:15am and 1:15pm. We also do viewings on Saturday mornings, by appointment. Please contact to make a booking. Please note we do not allow children under 12 on our workshop floor for Health and Safety reasons. 

Some of our clients are happy to show you through their home, others are happy with a driveby.  

Can you deliver NZ wide?
Yes we can, depending on site access.
How are the standard homes/cabins finished?

The panels we use are the finished product, unless you choose the Deluxe specifications (which are builtwith steel framing, GIB and various cladding options). The panels are powder coated int he colour Titania or Cloud inside. You have a range of colour options for the outside as well. We use aluminum extrusion for the vertical corners and between the wall panels and roof panels. The buildings come fully completed with floor coverings, all electrical, plumbing, kitchen cabinetry and bathroom all fitted out and also come with a Code Compliance Certificate.

Do you provide insurance?

Yes. We offer the Registered 10year Master Builder Guarantee and Tranzit Insurance (which covers your home from the time it is uplifted from our workshop to it being placed down on your piles). Our standard insurances are Public Liability and Contracts Works insurance.

Our access is rubbish, can you build on site?

Sorry but not currently.

How are units powered?

The small sleepouts and rental units are powered through a 10amp external caravan plug. We provide you with the caravan extension lead which you can then plug into a normal power plug. For our transportable homes, we run the main cable through the wall and coil it up under the house. Your electrician will then permanently connect it on site and install the meterboard.

Are the TRANSPORTABLE homes insulated?

Yes, all our homes are fully insulated and double glazed. For our standard panel homes, we use 75mm insulated panels which have an Insulation rating of R2 for the walls and we use 125mm for the ceiling, giving you an insulation rating of R3.6. All internal walls are also insulated with 50mm insulated panels. Our floors are insulated with Expol.

For our Deluxe homes, we use between R2.2-2.8 insulation in the walls, R3.6-4.1 in the ceiling and R1.4-1.8 Expol underfloor (depending on what is available)

Can you build to our specifications?

We are happy to look at it and quote based on your specifications. Please be aware the timeframe will differ and it will incur a design fee of $3000 for us to create the drawings for your home.

Do you have a minimum rental period?

We offer 6months, 12months, 24months or longer rental contracts.

Do I have to pay a bond to rent one of your cabins?
Yes, bond is 4 weeks rent
Is there a delivery charge?

Yes which depends on access. Here are some estimates for a 6m x 3m cabin:

  • Wellington/Hutt valley: $500
  • Kapiti: $750
  • Wairarapa: $1000

 For a 9m x 3m cabin:

  • Wellington/hutt valley: $750
  • Kapiti: $1000
  • Wairarapa: $1000
How often do I have to pay rent?

Weekly, fortnightly or monthly in advance. You will receive an invoice via email as per the frequency you have chosen on your rental contract.

Do I need council consent for your units?

It is best to check with your local council, but generally anything over 30m2 or anything with facilities needs Council Consent.

How much space do I need to get my unit delivered?

Our leased buildings are currently 3.09metres wide so the driveway needs to have a 3.3metres width minimum. The unit sits on top of a 1.2-1.5metre truck deck. So, provided the driveway is wide enough, it should be easy to deliver a portable building, but it all depends on where you want the unit located and if there is anything in the way, e.g. trees, power lines etc. We can organize for our trucking company to check out your site and quote the delivery.

Talk to us about next steps